Elyse B. Butler is the Managing Attorney of the Family Law division at Boyd Contreras, APC. Her practice focuses primarily on family law matters. Ms. Butler’s experience includes dissolution and legal separation proceedings, child custody and visitation, establishment of parental relationships, child support, spousal support, post-judgment modifications, mediation, preparation and review of marital settlement agreements, and both the preparation and defense of domestic violence restraining orders.
Ms. Butler is a member of the State Bar of California, the San Diego County Bar Association, including the family law section, the United States District Court for the Southern District of California, and the State Bar of Illinois. Ms. Butler attended California Western School of Law in San Diego, where she volunteered at both the Domestic Violence Restraining Order Clinic and the Family Law Facilitator’s Office located within the downtown family law courthouse.
Prior to joining Boyd Contreras APC, Ms. Butler was an associate attorney for a downtown San Diego firm specializing in family law. Ms. Butler clerked for the Honorable Robert C. Coates (Ret.) with whom she helped in the legal research and drafting of Ending Chronic Homelessness in America’s Major Cities: The Justice System Component, published in the University of San Francisco Law Review, Fall 2007, Vol. 42.
Areas of Practice
- Dissolution and Legal Separation Proceedings
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Post-Judgment Modifications, Mediation
- Marital Settlement Agreements
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- Arizona State University
- B.A. summa cum laude
- Major: Journalism and Mass Communication specializing in Media Analysis and Criticism from the college of Public Programs
- Major: Justice Studies
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- American Bar Association
- San Diego Bar Association, LRIS Referral Member